Tuesday, February 22, 2022

#BHMPatternDesigners: Style Sew Me Tiana

Every winter I get impatient for warmer weather and make a summer top even though there are several months until I can wear one...


This winter's summery top is also my entry for Sew Natural Dane's Black History Month Pattern Designers challenge, which is a challenge dedicated to black pattern designers and fabric designers and shops during the month of February. 

The pattern I chose for the challenge is the Tiana wrap front blouse from Style Sew Me patterns. The Tiana is a blouse with cut-on sleeves, a round neck, and a wrap around waist tie/bodice overlay feature. It caught my eye because I have a well-documented love for twists and ties

I really like how it turned out! Breezy and summery, a boxy top but with a bit of interest. 

The Tiana pattern goes up to a 3XL, for a 53" bust and 55" hip. I cut a 2XL according to my measurements, which seemed to work out well. 

I ended up shortening the sleeves slightly for fabric reasons (closer to the XL length). If I make it again, I'll add some length in the back, as the tie pulls it up a bit at center back. 

The fabric is a lightweight, gauzy woven cotton that I bought for a song from the Joann clearance rack a few years back. That clearance rack is the resting place for a lot of crap fabric, but there are a few gems to be had from time to time! 

Paired here with my go-to linen Glebe pants, my compost bin, and my muddy, melting yard.