Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Gilbert Top Three Ways

I made a round of Helen's Closet Gilbert Tops recently: one for my mom for mother's day and two for myself. 


This pattern is a summer favorite of mine. Previously I'd made the version that ties at the waist, and two cropped versions

For all three of these I opted for the full body length, but short sleeves.

The version I made for my mom is size 10. 

The fabric is a pretty Indonesian batik from my stash in colors that look great on her. 

For closures, I went with hot pink pearl snaps. 

I made one for myself, also out of Indonesian batik, a pretty grey/green one with a bright foliage design.

Tim was going to Indonesia for work and we came to an agreement about a two-out-one-in rule for new lengths of batik, so I was incentivized to sew some up!

Mine is a size 20. I used metal snaps for closures. 

And finally, the second Gilbert I made for myself was out of prepared for dye Essex cotton/linen from Stash

I had purchased some for a gift for my niece, and had enough extra to eke out a Gilbert, so I hit it with some ice dye.

I intended to dye it only with olive green, but I was sprinkling imperial purple on another piece and some of the powder blew over onto this fabric. It looked pretty cool! 

I decided to go with it, added more purple, and some maroon, which turns out more hot pink. It turned out quite nicely, methinks.

Mother of pearl buttons to finish it off.

I love them all! The Gilbert is the perfect casual summer shirt.