Thursday, July 13, 2023

Cropped Cottonwood Tee

 It's been a while! 


I haven't been sewing a ton recently... warm weather adventures and my gardens (perennials and veggies, see photo below) were more enticing for a month or so there. But now that it's hot and muggy outside and the world is imploding (see: Vermont floods, air quality issues, etc.) I'm more inclined to stay inside and disassociate via sewing. 

I decided to ease back in by trying a new pattern company, Canyon Moon Studio, started by Megan of The Green Violet, with whom I was an editor at the Curvy Sewing Collective several years back. 

Canyon Moon Studio just released the Cottonwood Tee, a loose fitting knit jewel neck tee finished with neckline and sleeve bands. The pattern includes is a cropped version, regular tee length, and a tunic. You know I love a simple boxy top.

The pattern comes in two size ranges with three overlapping sizes. The Canyon size range (A-H) is roughly equivalent to a traditional straight size range and the Moon size (F-O) range is drafted for plus sizes, up  to a 60 inch bust and 70 inch hip. Both ranges are drafted for a figure with larger hips and a proportionally smaller chest. I chose the largest size from the Canyon size range (H) for my Cottonwood, which worked out well. 

For the Cottonwood, the fabric needs at least 10% stretch. I used some low-stretch heathered cotton jersey from my stash, a remnant from another project. It was a true remnant: none of what I had was the full width of the fabric. But juuuust enough to cut out the cropped version of the Cottonwood Tee

I used my twin needle to topstitch the arm bands, neckline and hem. I forgot how much I like the twin needle- I was demonstrating how to use it recently at a learn-to-sew-knits class at Stash and was reminded that I shouldn't be lazy about switching out my needle because the finish is so nice!

I was a little nervous about the sleeve bands; I don't love things that squish or bisect my biceps. But the bands hang nicely, no squishing. 

I think next time I'd cut the neckband ever so slightly shorter (the pattern gives instructions for feeling out the length of your neckband based on the stretch of your fabric), but the neckline is a really lovely shape, nonetheless.

The cropped length is great for high-waisted pants or skirts. I paired it here with my linen Glebe Pants. I'm looking forward to trying the t-shirt length, too, though. 

So happy with it! There will be more Cottonwood Tees in my future...