Monday, October 9, 2023

Floral Frocktails Nicks Dress

Frocktails fun!


A few months back I impulsively purchased a ticket to the New York City Frocktails event, and Robin from Stash and I decided to make a weekend out of it. 

NYCFrocktails had Studio 54/disco glamor/'70s theme. In planning my Frocktails outfit, as usual, I vacillated between making something completely on theme - sparkly, slinky, etc., - and something more practical.

But I decided in the current life stage I'm in (you know what I'm talking about, fellow mid-40s friends), I cannot imagine wearing polyester against my skin because I would sweat to death. 

So I ultimately went with something a bit more appropriate for every day wear, with a nod to the '70s theme and the disco sparkle.

I opted for the Closet Core Patterns Nicks pattern (you might remember I made the blouse version of this pattern late last year), which is an homage to '70s icon Stevie Nicks, so felt at least in the ballpark of the theme.

I sewed View A of the Nicks, which has a loose-fitting V-necked bodice with a gently gathered shoulder and yoke, a long sleeve with wrist pleats for shaping and an elastic gathered cuff, a bias-bound neckline with rouleau button loops and buttons, and a tiered, gathered skirt with elastic waist.

I ended up buying some lush red rayon challis with a pretty pink and green floral print and metallic gold foil details from Fabric Mart

It was on super sale so was a great bargain. It appears to be out of stock- their fabrics go fast- but they have lots of other lovely prints in that category

I wanted the button look on the bodice, so I did the rouleau loops and made them functional as called for in the pattern, but I honestly wish I had just sewn the bodice up the center seam and made the buttons and loops more decorative than functional. 

It feels a tiny bit gapey since there's no sort of button guard behind the button loops, so the openings point directly at skin/bra. But not the end of the world given the amount of ease in the bodice.

For buttons, I found these amazing vintage, brass, bell-shaped shank buttons from my local fabric shop, Stash. Stash has a fabulous button cabinet with all sorts of lovely buttons, many of them vintage, organized by color. 

My Nicks dress was very fun to wear at Frocktails... extremely comfortable, very swooshy. 

I wasn't quite as glammed up as the rest of the party with all their sequins, but I tried to amp up the drama with lots of gold jewelry (mostly from local-to-me artist Soul Simone!) and some epic gold platform sandals.

I had an absolute blast at Frocktails. I was totally starstruck by all the talented folks there and just generally enjoyed myself dancing and mingle and ogling the outfits. 

I felt a little overwhelmed and didn't introduce myself to as many people as I would have liked, but I guess that just means I have to go back next year!