Sunday, February 23, 2014

Gwen Slouchy Beret



I needed a knitting project to keep me occupied during our recent trip to Cambodia... something small and portable, with an easy-to-follow pattern.  I've been wanting to make one of those slouchy, beret-style hats for a while now.  Not that I have much call for a hat here in Bangkok, but useful when traveling to chillier climes!



I poked around on Ravelry a bit and found this cute (and free!) pattern for a lacey, slouchy beret: the Gwen Slouchy Beret.  It worked with a yarn that I already had in my stash: the super soft and light Patons Silk Bamboo (thanks, Jamie!).


The pattern was super easy to follow, knitted up really quickly and I am very happy with the final result!  I like how you can wear it two different ways and it still looks good: sort of hanging off the back of your head or down over your ears. I also like that it took almost exactly one ball of the Silk Bamboo yarn.  I've got several balls of this yarn left in eggplant purple, peacock blue and more of the moss green.  Who wants a beret?