Wednesday, March 1, 2017

PJ Party: Sewaholic Tofino and Simplicity 1605

Recently, when my sister was visiting me, she saw me wearing my Tofino pajama pants (which are now almost two years old and quite faded from frequent use!) and said "Ooooooh, I like those!"



For the Sewaholic Tofino pattern, her measurements put her in a size 12, which worked out. They're definitely wide legged; that's how I felt about them on me. Super comfy, though. I took 3 inches off the length before cutting into the fabric. These pants are long; my sister is about 5'6"!!!


The fabric is quilting cotton from Belleboo in a pretty magenta leaf print. I had bought it a few years ago to make her something, but fell off the quilting cotton for clothing wagon and never made anything with it. Quilting cotton for pajamas is ok, though, so pajamas it was!


I didn't have any coordinating piping or cording in my stash, so I went with flat piping. To make the flat piping, I pressed some bias tape flat, burning my fingertips approximately 47 times in the process. Worth it, though!

Chuck seems to like them. Plus, she got a taste of taking blog photos on my balcony in Bangkok's heat... about as fun as it sounds!


While I was at the pajama-making, I made her man friend, Mike, a pair, too!


I had Simplicity 1605 in my stash, which I had purchased for the raglan t-shirt pattern. View C is a really simple men's pajama pant. The pattern has only two pattern pieces (front leg and back leg); the top of the waistband is folded down to form a casing for the waist elastic.


Mike measured at a size M in the hip and size-wise that worked; a little bit loose, but I think it's meant to be.

For fabric, we chose some gauzy plaid from my stash that resisted all of my efforts to pattern match across seams. To be fair, though, my efforts were a bit weak. I didn't cut with the fabric flat. I figured for PJ pants, it wouldn't matter much. I don't think Mike cared... he rocked them with his best GQ blue steel and a locally purchased t-shirt:


Thanks for being good sports and posing in your PJs, kiddos!