Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Testing, testing: Helen's Closet Yanta Overalls

#SewBibs may be over, but apparently I'm not done sewing overalls! These are the latest from Helen's Closet, the Yanta Overalls!


The Yanta Overalls are in the York pinafore family but have their own personality. They come in Helen's full size range, from 0-30, and are finished with buttons, and an optional invisible zipper, depending on your waist/hip ratio.


The Yanta Overalls are casual, artist-style overalls with a loose fit through the waist, hips and legs,   classic features like a v-shaped back and pointed front pocket, and two lengths: cropped pants or summery shorts.


The Yanta Overalls can be made in a variety of fabrics: medium- to heavy-weight wovens like cotton twill, denim, linen, corduroy, and canvas or more drapey fabrics like tencel twill, wool crepe, rayon crepe, or linen/viscose blend for a softer, less structured look.


My Yantas are made from a lightweight denim I bought in Bangkok, maybe 4 or 5 oz? It's a great weight for this pattern! After seeing Helen's official pattern photos, I feel like I need a striped pair now, too...


I sewed up a size 18 and, after a quick mid-project try-on, decided to skip the invisible zipper. I'm happy with my size choice! 


I think the only fit change I might make for my next pair is to lengthen or shorten the pants slightly, as they're hitting me in a bit of a weird spot.


I opted for some brown buttons to finish off my Yanta Overalls. 


I skipped the hip pockets, because at the time of testing, the only option was in-seam pockets, and I don't love in-seam pockets on my hips. Ultimately Helen landed on patch pockets for the front hip, too.


I'm really happy with these Yanta Overalls! They are super cute and easy to make. I'll definitely make another pair, probably for my mom, as I think she'll love the style.