Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Rug-print Appleton Dress

I know this isn't news, generally, and it's certainly not news from me, but just a reminder: the Cashmerette Appleton is a magical unicorn of a dress.

I've made the Appleton many times (here, here, here, here and here!), and honestly can't recommend it enough for the category of dresses that feel like pajamas but are appropriate for most work situations and yet also feel extremely sexy. 

This is my third time tracing a new size in the Appleton. That's how much I love this pattern! 

Although my size 16 C/D Appletons "fit" in the sense that I can still wear them, to be truly comfortable I needed to size up. Based on my current measurements, I cut a size 18 E/F at the bust, graded to a 20 at the waist and hip, which worked out great.

I lengthened the dress by 2 inches. I'll admit I just added length at the bottom of the hem because I was feeling too lazy to slash and spread at the lengthen/shorten line. But no-one is the wiser.

The fabric that inspired this dress was this rug-print rayon/lycra jersey from Fabric Mart that caught my eye. It will likely be sold out by the time I post this because that's how Fabric Mart works. The colors, including navy, cardinal red and chartreuse, are stunning, although the fabric is a little bit lighter weight than I prefer. 

I interfaced and topstitched the waist ties, a tip a stolen from Deb at Stitches and Seams many years ago.

I'm pretty smitten with this dress. Perfect for back to the office in the fall, provided we make it through this heat wave!