Friday, January 21, 2022

Mixed Print Medlow Robe

After a quick and simple first project in my new sewing space, my second one was a bit more involved and creative!

I've been meaning to make myself a new robe for a while now. I wear my Helen's Closet robe every day post-shower, while I dry my hair, prep for the day, and drink my coffee. However, that robe is looking a little bit tattered from wear and doesn't give me the coverage I want since I've gone up a few sizes since making it.

I bought the Muna and Broad Medlow Robe pattern soon after it was released, thinking it would be the perfect robe for me with its full coverage. I had printed the Medlow and traced my size months and months ago, but never actually cut one out because it's a bit of a fabric hog and I couldn't find a large enough piece of fabric in my stash.

This week I had an epiphany regarding my fabric shortage problem: mix and match fabrics! I had these 3 beautiful cotton batiks in my stash that coordinated really well. They were all made by the same artist. I had bought them at a batik fair in Jakarta when I lived there years ago (it's been over 10 years since I first moved there!). 

I have so many cool, unique batiks in my stash from when I lived there, but the problem for me is they're all 2-2.5 meters long, and only like 43" wide (usually designed to be worn as a sarong), so many garments won't fit on just one piece. But paired together you can get enough yardage for a project like my Medlow

I had 2 meters each of the blue and pinky-red batiks, so those formed the basis of the robe. I cut one front from each color, and cut half of the back out of each by adding a seam (and seam allowances, of course) down the center back. 

You might remember I had used most of a piece of the purple batik for a Cielo top for my mom in 2020. I used the remaining scraps of that purple batik for the robe's sleeves, part of the collar, the patch pocket, and a portion of the belt. I pieced together the remainder of the belt and the lower half of the collar with scraps of the blue and pink batik. 

My Medlow is a size D, which worked great (the Medlow pattern goes up to a 64" bust/71.5" hip, and Muna and Broad will grade the pattern up for you if you need larger than that). Roomy, full coverage, nice and long. I appreciate the small details, like the shaping at the back of the neckband so it snugs up to your neck. 

I am so delighted with my Medlow! I'm happy with the fit and enamored with the fun mix of fabrics I ended up with. 

If I had to register a complaint, it would be that the fabric is still a little bit crisp, but I know from experience that these cotton batiks soften up beautifully, so I'm sure if will only get better with time.



9 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, those combined batiks really make the robe go to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's just gorgeous. what an imaginative and practical use of such lovely fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is my favourite thing you've shared; it's just so joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stash busting here, Meg! Love how well all 3 prints mix together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful and I love your fabric selection. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your robe! We go to Indonesia about every 3 years to see my hubby's family and I have many batiks that aren't a lot of yardage. This is the perfect project! Terima kasih!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty! And you got to use 3 stash fabrics! That's so fantastic. I'm really working on using more of mine, so I really love this.

    ReplyDelete