Sunday, February 26, 2023

Fibr and Cloth Studio Photinia Top

Sneaking in at the end of February with the project I sewed for the Black History Month Pattern Designers challenge (#BHMPatternDesigners on Instagram!).

I love this challenge, hosted by Nateida of SewNaturalDane, designed to support Black pattern designers, whether it be garment sewing pattern designers, bag pattern designers, knitting and crochet pattern designers.

I've been really curious to try the Fibr and Cloth Studio Photinia Top and Dress pattern- all the versions I've seen on Instagram are just lovely. 

The Photinia is a loose fitting top and dress featuring a gathered neckline, either with binding or elastic, and various sleeve options- cuffs, a gathered sleeve with cuff, a gathered sleeve with an elasticized wrist, or a ruffle sleeve. There is a knee length dress or a top that hits at the high hip.  

The Photinia goes up to a 62 inch bust/66 inch hip. It has 4 sizes and is very flexible given all the gathering. 

I cut a size C, which corresponded with my measurements. I was admittedly nervous when I looked at the pattern pieces, thinking that it would be far too big, but it worked out perfectly in the end once it was all gathered and sewn up. 

This is the top view, of course, and I finished the neckline with bias binding. I made the longer sleeves, gathered at the wrist with binding. 

My fabric is a really pretty rayon challis that Tim got me on a trip to India several years back. It's not a block print- the design is just printed on there- but it looks like it's mimicking a block print. I thought it paired well with the romantic, boho vibe of the Photinia pattern

I'm really glad I used a very lightweight and drapey fabric. There's a lot of volume in the Photinia, and I could see it getting to be a bit much if you used a less drapey fabric. 

I'm pretty delighted with my Photinia! The neckline is really lovely, and the whole look is simultaneously simple but dramatic. 

I could see making the shorter sleeved version with the cuff for summer, and would like to try some other fabrics- maybe a viscose linen noil or a double gauze