Sunday, March 19, 2023

Chambray Sanders Buttonup

Why did I wait so long to sew up this pattern?!


This is the Elbe Textiles Sanders Button Up pattern, which I've had for several years with the intention of making it for Tim, but I kept falling back to my old reliable, McCall's 6044

I finally cut one out for his birthday and regret not doing so sooner!

The Sanders pattern is semi fitted button up shirt with gently shaped panels on the back, an enclosed yoke, and a cool front yoke with inseam pockets. 

The Sanders pattern goes through size J, which is designed for a 52 inch chest and 50.5 hip. 

I cut a size F according to Tim's 43 inch chest measurement, which worked out really well.

I went with the long sleeved version, which has tower plackets, and I skipped the pocket flaps. I really liked sewing the tower plackets- they seemed a bit larger than others I've sewn and were therefore less fiddly.

For fabric, I wanted to start with something simple, to test out the pattern. I used this piece of cotton chambray shirting in my stash. Not sure of its origins. 

The fabric is so plain, I sort of regret not using some contrasting topstitching to highlight the cool inseam pockets and the seamlines on the back and yoke. Next time, next time. And there will definitely be a next time.

I'm very pleased with the Sanders pattern and this shirt, and so is Tim! And it counts for the SewOver50 #SewOverAgeism2023 challenge, with the silver fox model Elbe Textiles used for some of its promo photos.