Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Testing, testing: Cashmerette Ames Jeans

Cashmerette has a pants pattern! Jeans, specifically!


Like all Cashmerette patterns, the Ames jeans pattern comes in sizes 12-28 and has options to suit different body shapes. The upper portion/pelvis is tailored for apple or pear shapes, and there are two leg options, skinny or straight. Jenny spent months and months perfecting the pattern, with three rounds of testing, to ensure a great fit!


This particular pair is from the second round of testing, before the pattern was split into apple and pear shapes to better accommodate different body shapes. Jenny says this iteration is probably most like the apple shape version in the final pattern, but note: this pair is not made from the final pattern! 


I made these jeans back in June and have been wearing them a ton since then!!
 

 I've used the straight leg option for this pair and cut a size 16, which is my typical Cashmerette size for the lower half of my body.


The Ames pattern is designed for stretch denim. My fabric is some black stretch denim I bought in Bangkok. However, I used the wrong side of the denim as the outside for this pair. I thought it had a cool texture. I used black topstitching thread throughout, with bright red topstitching thread for the bartacks for a fun pop of color.


The Ames pattern is a pretty traditional 5-pocket jean design, but it has some thoughtful details, like the pocket stay. This was my first pocket stay and I am a convert! I love how it smooths things out n the front, if you know what I mean. 


For my pocket stay and waistband lining, I used some cotton lawn scraps from my stash (left over from this Washi Top I made my sister a few years back). This lawn was a great weight for the pocket stay. Next time, though, I'll line the waistband with the stretch denim, because I do find myself wishing the waistband had slightly more give throughout the day. 

(please excuse the thread nesting on my bartacks- my machine was not happy about them, but they look fine from the outside, so I left it!)


 I am really happy with the fit on the Ames! I love that I get no gaping in the back waistband (a problem I often have with jeans). I'm looking forward to making another pair from the final pattern!