Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Blackwood Cardigan, Take 2

The Blackwood Cardigan from Helen's Closet was one of my favorite projects from last year... why oh why hadn't I made another one until now?!


After writing my 2017 Top 5 post about this cardigan and thinking about just how often I wore it, I decided to remedy this issue right away. I figured that, in a color more neutral than the tangerine orange of my last Blackwood, I would really never take this cardigan off.


This time, I went for View A, the longer version with the pockets.


I sized up from my last version for a bit more ease throughout, which turned out exactly as I hoped. I also shortened the sleeves by two inches because I don't want them too, too slouchy. They're still pretty long, though, and true to Helen's design intent.


For fabric, I opted for this grey marled ribbed knit from Joann from this past summer. It's a thin fabric, quite stretchy, and incredibly soft. I love it and wish I had bought more!


I used Wonder Tape to stabilize and help hold the pockets in place while I sewed them. They would have been a wavy nightmare without anything to support them, methinks.


I love, love, love this cardigan! I wasn't sure it was possible to love a cardigan more than I loved that orange one, but it might just be the case here! The perfect combination of fabric and pattern for me.


Lucky for me, after making the cardigan I had a large scrap of fabric left over, perfectly sized for a Delia beanie! Coming soon...