Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Testing, testing: Sew DIY Lou Box Dress

I've been mad for plaid since moving to Vermont... no signs of stopping in the new year!



This plaid number is my tester version of the latest pattern from Sew DIY, the Lou Box Dress


Beth based the dress on her extremely popular Lou Box Top pattern. There are two versions of the Lou Box Dress, 1 and 2 (or save a bit with a bundle of both!)


I chose to make Lou Box Dress 1, described below:

"The Lou Box Dress 1 is a loose-fitting cocoon style dress. Worn alone, it’s perfect for warm
summer days. Paired with a sweater, tights and boots, it will take you through the colder months. Make it in linen for a casual look or printed silk for a luxurious night out. View A features a medium scoop neck, 3/4 length sleeves with cuffs, in-seam pockets and a knee-length skirt. View B features short cuffsleeves and patch pockets."


Mine is View A, with the scoop neck and longer sleeves with cuffs, but with the patch pockets of View B. I sewed a size M/L at the bust graded to a L/XL at the hip, which worked out well. It's quite a roomy pattern, so if you want a closer fit or are on the cusp of two sizes, which I was, size down. I bet I could have gotten away with a straight M/L, no problem.


To make my Lou Box Dress more seasonal, I cut it out of some plaid flannel shirting from Joann. I tried to match the plaid along the side seams and tried to get the sleeves to look about the same, but didn't bother with matching elsewhere. I cut the cuffs and patch pockets cut on the bias for a bit of visual interest.


For me, the dress is a wee bit short as-is, so I am wearing it with leggings. Also, it was freezing and windy the day I took these photos, so there was no way I was going bare-legged!


I love the high-low hem, cocoon shape and faced hems of Lou Box Dress 1. Some of my favorite features, as you know. I also appreciate that it can be made with a wide variety of fabrics, including both wovens and knits. You can completely change the look the dress depending on your fabric choice.


I love this dress. I'll definitely continue to wear it more like a tunic, with leggings. And now that it's even colder here, definitely with a long sleeved t-shirt underneath, too! I've got visions of a cozy fleece or french terry version floating through my mind right now after seeing Beth's striped version...