Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Coordinating Charlie Caftans

I've indoctrinated a few more members into the Caftan Cult this summer!

My sister and her childhood friend came to visit me in Vermont about a month ago. While they were here, we did a beach day on Lake Champlain. Of course I wore a caftan as my swimsuit cover-up, as I always do... 


They were curious about my caftan ("Meg, how many caftans do you have?!"), so I promptly extolled the virtues of the caftan as a summer staple: comfy, cool, chic, etc. 


I told them about last summer's Caftans and Cocktails events, and I casually mentioned that I could make them their own caftans. 

Readers, they took the bait. 


They liked my pink caftan in particular, so I decided I would use that pattern for theirs. We opted for the Closet Core Patterns Charlie Caftan View B, the short, gathered front caftan. 


For my sister I sewed a size 10 (with a smaller seam allowance at the hip for extra room) and for her BFF, a straight size 8. That sizing seemed to work well! 

The fabric is a lovely purple and black rayon challis (another colorway of the fabric I used for my original Charlie Caftan!) from my stash, originally purchased in Bangkok. 


Based on photos from a recent beach trip they took, the caftans were worn multiple times and were perfect for beach games, cocktails and other adventures!


I'm pretty sure they're into their caftans and are full-fledged members of the caftan cult now!