Sunday, September 6, 2026

Cornelius Western Shirt

Fanciest shirt I've ever made for Tim!

This is the Closet Core Cornelius western shirt, which they released a few months back. I downloaded and planned to make it immediately after it was released, but stalled out for a few months over the summer. 

But Tim and I had plans to see Sierra Ferrell in early September, so I had a hard deadline for a whimsical, slightly over-the-top western shirt. And I'm glad I finished it in time- Tim got lots of compliments on his Cornelius at the show!

I cut the Cornelius men’s pattern in a size 44 for Tim, whose chest measured between 43 and 44 inches. I was expecting it to be more fitted, but it was pretty big on him, even though I had sewed the optional back bodice darts. 

I ended up taking it in on the sides and underarms by 5/8ths of an inch, so a total of about 2.5 inches all around. And it's still a bit big. I would definitely size down next time! 

I also shortened the body by about an inch at the hem, as it was a bit long.

For fabric I used a deadstock designer cotton chambray from LA Finch Fabrics. They don't have the exact fabric I bought, but they have lots of other similar options! It was the perfect lightweight but crisp shirting for this pattern.

I sewed up View B of the Cornelius shirt, the view with curved front yokes, a dramatic rounded collar, and optional decorative piping throughout. I used white piping for a contrast against the deep blue chambray, and quickly learned that I am Not Good at sewing piping. Oh well! I got the job done, it's just not as neat as I would like!

I upped the drama with some patches on the front and back yokes. I used these mirrored floral and bird (belted kingfisher!) patches from Alisa Patch Studio on Etsy. I was inspired by the shirtdress Emma made and basically copied her. Imitation = sincerest form of flattery, right?!

I'm a bit annoyed with the patches. They're supposed to be iron-on, which I did. I did a few safety stitches to keep them on, but I found that they are really not staying stuck. I'm going to have to go back and hand-stitch them on, which I'm not happy about. 

Also, in retrospect, I should have considered the placement of patches on the yoke better. The collar covers them a bit, especially if the top shirt button is undone! If I had placed them lower and wider, it would have been better. Ah well, live and learn.

I finished the shirt with pearl snaps, as is befitting of a western shirt. 

So snazzy!