Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Colorblocked Mila Dress

This is the Style Arc Mila Designer Dress. After seeing Style Arc's striking yellow and grey colorblocked sample, I snatched up this pattern during one of their Etsy/PDF sales.



Mila
 has lots of things I like: simple, but interesting lines and cut-on sleeves (my favorite!). Plus I am warming up to cocoon shaped dresses after making myself an Inari tee dress a few months ago. I wear that baby a lot, although I do find the slits to be a bit high, especially when sitting. 


I like how the seam line separating the top and the bottom swoops around to the back... so pretty!


The fabric is some navy and pinky/purple rayon challis from my stash. Shifty stuff, that rayon! Difficult to cut, particularly the navy blue, which is thinner and lower quality than the purple. 


Both are unforgiving in the wrinkle and ripply seam department, too!! You can see the wrinkles building up, particularly on the sleeves, throughout my photo shoot. Keep in mind that it was about 98 degrees F and 100 percent humidity at the time I was taking these photos. I kept having to run back inside to stand under the AC between shots so I wouldn't have sweat seeping through the garment. Stay classy, Bangkok.


The Mila pattern is quite quick to sew up because it has so few pieces and seams (6 pieces, including the front and back neck facings, really only 5 major seams). It took me just a couple hours to finish it.


I didn't quite nail the point of the triangle at center front, which is really the only difficult part of the pattern. Oops! I've got some bubbling there. I may try to unpick it, because it's driving me nuts. Or maybe I'll just wear a long necklace to distract from it! Ha! In reality, no one but a seamstress is likely to notice some slight bubbling.


I really love this Mila! Despite my shoddy job on the pointy bit, I love the overall look. Modern, effortless. 


And it's crazy comfortable. It just floats away from your body, which is exactly what I need when it's this hot out.


Would it be cheating if, for my next Mila, I rounded out the pointed bit? Nah, I should just practice my point sewing. Anybody have any tips?


I have been on a Style Arc roll lately. Quickly approaching fan girl status. Once they started offering their patterns other ways besides one-size paper patterns shipped from Australia, I have been hooked. I've mostly used their PDF patterns so far, but purchased a couple of the layered/multisize patterns from Amazon, too, mainly the more complicated designs. Have you all tried Style Arc yet? 

37 comments:

  1. beautiful!! - I've bought the pattern, but haven't made it up yet - how do you find the sizing? It looks like you could go down a size if you wanted... did you cut the size recommended for your measurements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Regarding sizing, well it's definitely supposed to be fairly loose fitting, I think. My measurements put me in a 16 on top and 18 on the bottom. I went with a straight 18 because I was too lazy to print out both sizes and piece them together. I probably should have gone down to a 16 on top because it is a little bit roomy up there.

      Delete
  2. After seeing your dress on Instagram last night, I was looking forward to the post this morning. You didn't disappoint! Love it! I think the point looks fine...we are always more critical of ourselves than anyone else would be. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margo!! We are definitely the most critical of ourselves!

      Delete
  3. Even after you mentioned the bubbling I could BARELY notice it. But my guess would be that you just need to clip the seams around it a little more to make it lie flatter. (Though I don't think you need to stress about it, it really looks fine). The dress looks so breezy and comfy. I read that article about your heat wave; that is crazy! J wants to do a tour in Bangkok some time but I think I would die with the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! I mostly pressed it into submission, but next time I'll just have to go slower at the pointy bit.

      Ug, the heat here is unbearable currently. That's why I've been so productive, sewing-wise, lately- I don't want to leave the house!

      December- February can be quite pleasant here, so if you come, I would recommend that time period!

      Delete
  4. Ooh it's a winner! Lovely and simple but very chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! That's how I feel about it!

      Delete
  5. Yes! I love love love love love this, and would totally wear that dress. I love the color combination you used <3 .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! I am loving it, too!

      Delete
  6. I have the pattern, and some black and royal blue crepe to make it. So happy to see your version since we have similar body types and measurements! It looks great. Now I have my project for the weekend all set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black and royal blue crepe sounds like the perfect color/fabric combination for this pattern! Happy sewing!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your version is beautiful! I was drawn to this pattern too, and I have already cut a dress from silk fabric- but maybe my fabric is too much on the thin side, so I was thinking whether I should underline the lower part with some kind of crepe, or viscose lining. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eirini! Hmmm- I don't think it would be too difficult to underline the skirt portion. It might be complicated to have extra layers at the point, but I am sure you could make it work!

      Delete
  9. I love that on you. The colours really suit you. You could check out quilting blogs for advice on sharp points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! Yep, I looked at quilting blogs for tips, but found that most of their points were sewn differently than this one- straight lines sewn together, rather than existing triangles sewn together. The best advice I found that was applicable was for sewing v-neck t-shirts. But it was tough with my slippery rayon challis!

      Delete
    2. Apologies if you tried this, but I like to starch the heck out of rayon before cutting and sewing! Makes it so much easier to handle IMO. I've done quite a few self-drafted patterns with inset points and just always make sure to stay-stitch the inner vee. I also often start at the point and stitch away on either side. And, yes, you read correctly that I do this to myself. lol Love this dress and the colors you chose!

      Delete
  10. I would not have noticed any bubbling if you didn't point it out! I love the colors, and the best advice on sharp points is lining up all the layers first and pinning the edges starting from the top point of the triangle. One pin directly at the point and two right near by so it doesn't shift as you sew, although I imagine with such slipery fabric it might be a bit tough. You live in Bangkok? I'm (sort of) nearby in Taipei, waving to you right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alisa, and hello fellow Asia dweller! Good advice! That's sorta what I did, it was just tougher than I thought it would be with the slippery fabric. Next time I'll nail it!



      Delete
  11. I love this dress! Forget about that front point, I honestly can't even see what you are talking about from these photos so I suspect it's a nonissue. It just looks like the floatiest (but work appropriate) dress for a hot day (although I'm sorry, 98 degrees and 100% humidity - that's not hot, that's freaking HELL). I especially like the back view, which has a really 20s flapper vibe. So pretty. Also, you should wear these colors all the time. Seriously, great make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! I mostly ironed the point into submission, so you can't see it much in the photos.

      It's so floaty and comfy! It does have a bit of a flapper thing in the back, doesn't it! Normally dropped waists are no good for me, but since this one is only dropped in the back, it works!

      Delete
  12. That is gorgeous and the colours are fabulous. I am definitely going to make another and round off the point - it'll be a "design feature" so that they aren't identical. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gaye! Ha, I love the idea of rounding off the point and calling it a design feature- great plan!!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful dress! Looks great. I too love Style Arc. I just got a new lot of patterns and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am totally addicted to Style Arc. I love their simple, modern designs. Good stuff!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful dress! Looks great. I too love Style Arc. I just got a new lot of patterns and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colour combo you chose and I think the shape is really lovely on you! I really like Style Arc patterns but I have yet to try any out. For the point could you use a similar technique to a v-neck shirt? I haven't made either, so I really have no idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I did use the v-neck t-shirt technique- I think it's just that the rayon challis is so slippery!!

      Delete
  16. I've only just seen this post and I had to comment - you did a beautiful job! I love the colour combo and you've inspired me to buy the pattern. Now all I have to do is find the right fabric. Do you think a knit would work for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine! The pattern says it works for a drapey woven or a jersey knit, so it should be ok!

      Delete
    2. So I went ahead and made it in ponte, teal at the top and purple at the bottom, and I'm so pleased with it. It hangs beautifully and I love the shape, it's quite flattering on my size 26! Thank you Meg for the inspiration!

      Delete
    3. That's fabulous, Lorraine! I'm so happy to hear it worked out for you!!

      Delete