Sunday, March 21, 2021

Marlo Sweater


We still have several months of cardigan season here in Vermont...
 

Here's my version of the True Bias Marlo Sweater, an oversized sweater with a dropped shoulder, deep V-neck and wide bands.

The is View A, the cropped version... I just love all the cropped versions I've seen made up so far. I love the proportions of the big sleeves and bodice that hits up high. 

I cut a size 20, which is in the larger size range, and therefore drafted for a D-cup. I feel like the sizing worked out well for me!

The fabric is Birch Organic cotton sweatshirt fleece that I bought at my local fabric store, Notion Fabric and Craft. I found using my clapper helped with bulky seams on this thick fabric. I chose the option where the front band seam is enclosed, rather than serged. 


The Marlo can be made with low-stretch knits, and the body can even be made with zero-stretch knits or wovens if you like (the bands still require some level of stretch, though). I appreciate how the pattern also has different band options depending on the stretch percentage of your knit.


I found the perfect buttons in my stash, in a box of odd buttons from Tim's aunt Linda (thanks, Linda!). They're a little smaller than called for (7/8 inch, pattern calls for 11/8 inch) but I think they still work! 

At the end of the project I almost chickened out of trying buttonholes on this fabric. I have one machine (my Janome) with an automatic 1-step buttonhole, but it doesn't handle thick fabrics well. And my vintage Bernina, which handles thick fabric, has a 5-step buttonhole function that I have not mastered. 


I was considering either no buttons or heavy duty snaps, but in the end, with input from Tim who said the buttons really pull the sweater together, I went for buttonholes with my Bernina and it was fine. And Tim was right.

I really like my Marlo cardigan! The proportions are so fun and it's a cozy addition to my me-made wardrobe. 

Paired here with my recent linen Muna and Broad Glebe Pants.