Woop, woop! Another Jackson Tee in a fun fabric!
Before dyeing my french terry I decided to test run the method and my colors. I bought some cotton tea towels, dye and mordant from Dharma Trading Co. and had a go! For colors I opted for blues and greens: better blue green, cayman isle green, and teal blue.
I won't get into detail on how I did my ice dyeing; there are so many great tutorials out there (see Dharma Trading Co., Seamwork, Elizabeth Made This, Closet Core Patterns, and so on.). The only thing I did differently was to use snow from my yard rather than a bag of ice. Snow was plentiful at the time!
I loved how my tea towels turned out... marbleized and colorful and fun!
However, the french terry definitely didn't turn out the same as my towels!
I don't know if it's the substrate/fabric content, the size of the piece of fabric I was dyeing (the 2 meter x 60" piece was a little squished up on my rack), or the fact that the snow was icier (we had a warm spell and then a re-freeze between when I dyed the tea towels vs. the french terry), but the dye was a bit spotty, the lines less distinct, and the color a bit less vibrant (almost muddy!).
It's still pretty, though, so I forged ahead with my project!