Sunday, January 8, 2023

Orange You Glad It's Not Blue McCall's 6044

It's been over 6 months since my last McCall's 6044 for Tim. Time to make a new McCall's 6044 for Tim!


Tim asked me for a "winter" shirt for Christmas, so we were thinking cozy for this one. 


I had noticed that the vast majority of his shirts are blue or blue and white, and we decided he needed to shake things up a bit.  

To add a pop of color to his wardrobe, I went with a cozy fabric from my stash, Kaufman Shetland flannel in pimento, a beautiful reddish orange. 


I've sewn a bunch with Shetland flannel recently, but I was surprised to see that this colorway is not like the others. The others had a herringbone weave, were thick, tightly woven and had a brushed surface.


This colorway is more loosely woven, not brushed and feels a little bit lighter weight. Still very soft, but a very different texture from the other Shetland flannels I've used lately!


I kept it simple with this one: no yoke, no flaps on the pockets. 

Closures are heavy duty snaps in silver/nickel. 

He wore it immediately and three times since, so I'm calling it a win!