Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sew Fancy Pants: Ginger Jeans

Ok, another project from the WIP pile! I got started on this project back in the fall, and then... it sat there. Thank you to #SewFancyPants2023 and the #JFFIChallenge2023 for the inspiration to just f*cking finish these pants!

These are the Closet Core Patterns Ginger Jeans. I've been meaning to try the pattern since it was released in their full size range (up to a 63 inch hip). Last time I made the Ginger pattern it was hot and fresh, and I was fresh and young, and holy shit that was almost 10 years ago.

Also almost 10 years old is the denim I used... I'm pretty sure it's Cone Mills S-gene stretch denim from a jeans-making kit I bought around that timeframe.

I cut a size 18 from the Ginger's 14-32 size range, which worked pretty well. I cut the high-rise with the pocket stay and paired it with the stovepipe/straight legs.

In retrospect, maybe I should have sized up at the waist or given myself a smidge more room across the belly because there's some pulling. I had basted them together with the waistband for a try-on and it seemed fine, but the final product is snug. Maybe they'll stretch out?

My machine hated this project, which is why it took me so long to finish it. The topstitching went very poorly in the thicker areas (fly, waistband, etc.) no matter what needle I used. 

Skipped stitches, shredded topstitching thread, thread nesting on the wrong side. I tried hammering some of the seams, but that only somewhat helped. Luckily most of the ugly stitching is on the top, which will be covered by my shirt 99 percent of the time.

Looking at the photos, my pocket placement is perhaps a bit high. I went with the markings on the pattern; but the width of my butt is on the low side, so I should have moved the pockets accordingly.

I'm pretty happy with them, though! I think they'll soften and loosen up over time. And hopefully I'll forgive the shoddy topstitching!