Friday, May 25, 2018

Testing, testing: York Pinafore by Helen's Closet


Pinafores and glowingly pale winter legs!


This is the latest from Helen's Closet: the York Pinafore!


Helen describes the York Pinafore as "a playful addition to your handmade wardrobe" and "a modern take on a classic pinafore dress with a cocoon shape." You can read more in her introductory blog post here.


 I made View A, which has cool, angled scooped pockets that are stitched into the side seam. It's got a low neckline and is knee length. 

View B is a shorter length with a higher neckline and kangaroo pocket.


This is the size XL, although some changes have been made to the pattern since testing to take it in a bit at the waist and hip. The neckline has been raised slightly and length added to the skirt.


The York Pinafore is incredibly quick to sew up because it's just two pieces and the pockets (or pocket, depending). No closures, nothing complicated. The neckline, armholes and pocket edges are all finished with a bias tape facing.


I used packaged bias tape for my York Pinafore. The fabric is lightweight (4 oz, maybe?) denim from Joann. I also used golden jeans topstitching thread to sew on the binding, topstitch the pockets and do some bar tacks. It's a little bit difficult to see in my photos, but you can imagine!


I've paired my York here with my striped Bento Tee. But Helen has style it with tank tops, cropped tops, and even turtlenecks! I think it's an interesting layering piece that can work across seasons depending on your fabric choice.

 

I'll be honest and say that I was a bit apprehensive about the idea of this look on me before I sewed the York up, but it's pretty damn cute on, I think. Modern, fun, funky. Definitely unique! I'm not sure I've convinced my husband, though. I asked him what he thought of this outfit and he said "It's very... '90s." I'm not taking it as an insult. The '90s are back, right?