Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Testing, testing: Helen's Closet Elliot Sweater


Hey there, faithful readers! Here's my tester version of the latest pattern from Helen's Closet, the Elliot Sweater!


Helen describes the Elliot Sweater and Tee as "your go-to cozy layer for everyday wear." I say it's a versatile sweater or tee with lots of options that can be dressed up or down, depending on your fabric choice and how you style it.


The Elliot pattern has several mix-and-match details: high-low hem with a side slit, a slightly cropped hem, or a regular t-shirt length, three neck options including an extra tall version that can be scrunched down or folded over, a medium height version, and a classic knit band, and raglan-style sleeves that come in short or 3/4 lengths. 


I obviously chose View A, the longer, split hem version with 3/4 sleeves and the extra tall neckline for drama. This is a size XL and I'm finding the fit pleasantly slouchy without being too oversized.


For the sweater versions, Helen recommends medium- to heavy-weight sweater knits with at least 20% stretch widthwise and 10% stretch lengthwise, or ponte or scuba for a more structured look. She says lightweight knits can work with Views B and C for a t-shirt look.  


I chose this faux cabled double knit from Joann's Endless Sea line (I guess cables are nautical?), which they are calling a "pucker knit." I'd say it's a heavy weight knit with lots of drape, and I think it was the perfect choice for the Elliot sweater! The coral color is a bit bright, but I think I will appreciate the pop of color during the dark depths of Vermont winter.


The Elliott pattern is really versatile... I've worn my Elliott to work several times since I made it. For the office I paired it with skinny cropped trousers (a RTW pintuck pair that I modeled my Sasha trousers on, and then with my Margaret pants), then changed into skinny jeans for post-work shenanigans. 


Here I've taken it casual by pairing it with one of Helen's other patterns, the Avery Leggings and sneakers (does my use of the word "sneakers," and the fact that I call traffic circles "rotaries" pinpoint my origins or what?). The longer hemline works perfectly with leggings because it covers my bum.


As a result of feedback during the testing process, Helen made a few minor changes to the Elliot pattern to improve the fit. She deepened the hem, narrowed the back between the shoulder blades and shaped the raglan seams a bit. I'm looking forward to trying the pattern with the changes!


I really love my Elliot! It's cozy, comfy, cute and incredibly quick and satisfying to sew.