Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Toaster Sweater Week: Quilted Jersey #2

Toaster Sweater Week continues with my first Toaster Sweater #2!


Toaster Sweater #2 is quite different from #1: As Sew House Seven describes it, it's "somewhat fitted through the shoulders and sleeves and then swings out a bit at the underarms and hem. It features a semi-hi-neck that takes its inspiration from funnel and boat necks. It also has mitered side vents with a hi-low hem that is 1” shorter in the front than the back. The front hem falls just below the high hip."


For this Toaster Sweater #2, I opted for black quilted jersey from Joann Fabrics. I really like working with this fabric; it's so easy to sew! I like how it has enough body to help the sweater to hold its boxy shape, too. I hate how it photographs, though! The color just sucks in all the light!


I cut a size XL, same as my Toaster Sweater #1, but shortened the sleeves 1.5 inches and did a full bicep adjustment of 1 inch. I'm happy with the boxy shape and like the set-in sleeves!


I love, love the mitered corners on the high/low hem. So neat and crisp, but hard to capture in the photos. This one below (in which the wind picked up and gave me crazy hair) shows off the neatness of the mitered corners and graduated hem best!


I hand stitched down the neck facing because it didn't want to stay rolled to the inside. Luckily, with this quilted knit, I could hand stitch to the inner layer of the knit and not have it show through on the exterior. 


Speaking of the neckline, I'm not entirely convinced by the neckline on the Toaster Sweater #2. It creates a bubble of fabric at my collarbone/upper chest and bumps up against my neck, although judging from the samples, I think that's how it's meant to be. Next time I may either cut a crew neck or perhaps mash the darted neckline of the Talvikki sweater to the Toaster Sweater #2 body.


The neckline hasn't stopped me from wearing it, though! I've worn this wardrobe workhorse a bunch since making it! In black, it goes with everything.

I like how it's slightly cropped, so it goes well with high-waisted pants and skirts. Here I've paired it with my twill Lander Pants, but it's nice with jeans and pencil skirts, too. 

Tune in tomorrow for more Toaster Sweater Week action!