Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Toaster Sweater Week: Vintage Velour #1

I am rapidly turning into my mother.


Like her, I have a significant fabric, sewing pattern, yarn and general crafting stash. I have too many hobbies and not enough time. 


Over the past few years I have been raiding her significant fabric stash, stealing lengths of fabric and crafting paraphernalia that she isn't obviously still using or planning to use. 


One of those lengths of fabric was this vintage teal cotton velour... when pressed for information about its origins, my mother said "Well, I am pretty sure I bought it sometime between 1978 and 1983 when I was teaching, as there was fabric shop on the way home from my school."


I'm not sure what she originally intended to make with it...


I had the bright idea, though, to turn her vintage (potentially older than me!) fabric into something that she could wear and enjoy every day, rather than leaving it to sit on the shelf! I also thought it was kinda funny to essentially "re-gift" the fabric back to her in finished garment form... 


Since she loved her Toaster Sweater #1 so much and I still had the traced pattern in her size, it was really easy to whip up another one for her for her birthday (I gave her a Hey June Tallinn, too!).


Like her first Toaster Sweater, this is a size medium at the bust graded to a large at the hip, with the sleeves shortened by 2 inches.


It looks fabulous on her! The fabric is a really lovely quality, with a nice texture. I think it can go either way: casual or dressy. The camera doesn't quite capture the lovely sheen.

Bonus: She seems to like it and was tickled by the re-gift of her own fabric!


Come back tomorrow for more Toaster Sweater Week fun!